The Adventure begins, or, um, continues…

Hola amigos y amigas!

We’ve decided to launch this Blog as a way to chronicle our (ongoing) journey toward a joyous and fulfilling life on earth.  As friends, partners, and lovers of all that is positive and uplifting, we made an agreement to share what we are discovering along our path with those who have an interest in diving deeper into the beauty and majesty of our interwoven worlds.  As many proud individuals and societies speed toward self-destruction, dis-ease and immanent demise, we hold that the balance and harmony choreographed by our Universe will ultimately take center stage and we want to have a front row seat to the show.

Thus, the year 2012 has arrived and whether lore, superstition or science is to speak about the Maya prognostications, or not, we’re here to listen.  Our pilgrimage of self-discovery has taken us to the heart of the Ancient Empire of “Day-Keepers” and as the calendar unfolds we will be here to count our blessings.  Please take time to follow our story, keep in contact and share your insights – the elders tell us to stay strong and bring LOVE into the next cycle – you ready?  We are!  In addition to adding collaborative content, we will also be posting personal notes of interest on our independent Journal Pages – enjoy!!

In Peace, Jess & Jake.



MOVIE NIGHT: TAPPED Thursday Feb. 21 8p


Thursday February 21


$3 Donation

Is access to clean drinking water a basic human right, or a commodity that should be bought and sold like any other article of commerce? Stephanie Soechtig’s debut feature is an unflinching examination of the big business of bottled water.

From the producers of Who Killed the Electric Car and I.O.U.S.A., this timely documentary is a behind-the-scenes look into the unregulated and unseen world of an industry that aims to privatize and sell back the one resource that ought never to become a commodity: our water.

From the plastic production to the ocean in which so many of these bottles end up, this inspiring documentary trails the path of the bottled water industry and the communities which were the unwitting chips on the table. A powerful portrait of the lives affected by the bottled water industry, this revelatory film features those caught at the intersection of big business and the public’s right to water

Sun Salutation!


Caracol is the name given to a large ancient Maya archaeological site, located in what is now the Cayo District of Belize. It is situated approximately 40 kilometres south of Xunantunich and the town of San Ignacio Cayo, and 15 kilometers away from the Macal River. It rests on the Vaca Plateau at an elevation of 500 meters above sea-level, in the foothills of the Maya Mountains.  Long thought to be a tertiary center, it is now known that the site was one of the most important regional political centers of the Maya Lowlands during the Classic Period.  Caracol covered approximately 200 square kilometers, covering an area much larger than present-day Belize City (the largest metropolitan area in the country) and supported more than twice the modern city’s population.

The site was first reported by a native logger named Rosa Mai, who came across its remains in 1937 while searching for mahogany hardwood trees to exploit.  Mai reported the site to the archaeological commission for British Honduras, today Belize. In 1938 the archaeological commissioner, A. H. Anderson, Anderson visited the site for two weeks along with a colleague H. B. Jex. They conducted preliminary surveys, noted 9 carved monuments, took notes on the structures of the A Group Plaza, and undertook limited excavations in two locations.   A. H. Anderson and Linton Satterthwaite later discovered 40 stone monuments.  It was Anderson who gave the site its name —from the Spanish: caracol “snail, shell”, but more generally meaning spiral- or volute-shaped— apparently on account of the winding access road that led to the site.

The site was first noted and documented archaeologically in 1937 by A. H. Anderson. More extensive explorations and documentation of the site was undertaken by Linton Satterthwaite of the University Museum at the University of Pennsylvania from 1950 to 1953.  During this time Satterthwaite primarily focused on finding and documenting monuments, later removing several stelae and altars to the University Museum. In the early 1980s, Paul Healy of Trent University investigated Caracol’s core area, recording several architectural groups, and noting the extensive terrace systems and high population density for the surrounding area.

The Caracol Archaeological Project (ongoing every year since 1985) is directed by Drs. Arlen and Diane Chase of the University of Central Florida in Orlando, United States. The 1988-1989 field seasons researched the southeast section of the site, between the Conchita and Pajaro-Romonal Causeways, to determine the impact of the Tikal-Naranjo wars.  From 1994-1996, the project focused investigations in the northeast section of the site (near the Puchituk terminus) which showed great time depth dating to the Middle Preclassic, and on the growth and cohesion of the site during Caracol’s two major periods of aggression. In the spring dry season of 2009 they conducted a LiDAR survey with an aircraft that allowed a very rapid assessment of the entire site and surrounds, mapping 200 square kilometers, with results published in May 2010.

The only road Caracol may be accessed by is paved for the last ten miles and leads to the Western Highway between San Ignacio and Belmopan and to Santa Elena.  Caana (“sky-palace”) is the largest building at Caracol. It remains one of the largest man-made structures in Belize.

(Information sourced from wikipedia) 

Cahal Pech

Cahal Pech is a Maya site located near the Town of San Ignacio in the Cayo District of Belize. The site was a hilltop palacio home for an elite Maya family, and though most major construction dates to the Classic period, evidence of continuous habitation has been dated to as far back as far as 1200 BCE during the Early Middle Formative period (Early Middle Preclassic), making Cahal Pech one of the oldest recognizably Maya sites in Western Belize. The site rests high near the banks of the Macal River and is strategically located to overlook the confluence of the Macal River and the Mopan River. The site is a collection of 34 structures, with the tallest temple being about 25 meters in height, situated around a central acropolis. The site was abandoned in the 9th century CE for unknown reasons.

The name Cahal Pech, meaning “Place of the Ticks”, was given when this site was fallow during the first archaeological studies in the 1950s, led by Linton Satterthwaite from the University of Pennsylvania Museum. It is now an archaeological reserve, and houses a small museum with artifacts from various ongoing excavations.  The primary excavation of the site began in 1988. Restoration was completed in 2000 under the leadership of Dr. Jaime Awe, Director of the National Institute of Archaeology (NICH), Belize.

(Information sourced from wikipedia) 


Xunantunich (pronounced /shunantunit͡ch/) is a Maya archaeological site in western Belize, about 80 miles (130 km) west of Belize City, in the Cayo District. Xunantunich is located atop a ridge above the Mopan River, within sight of the Guatemala border. Its name means “Stone Woman” in the Maya language (Mopanand Yucatec combination name), and, like many names given to Maya archaeological sites, is a modern name; the ancient name is currently unknown. The “Stone Woman” refers to the ghost of a woman claimed by several people to inhabit the site, beginning in 1892. She is dressed completely in white, and has fire-red glowing eyes. She generally appears in front of “El Castillo”, ascends the stone stairs, and disappears into a stone wall.

Most of the structures date from the Maya Classic Era, about 200 to 900 AD. There is evidence that some structures were damaged by an earthquake while they were occupied; this earthquake may have been a reason for the site’s abandonment.

The core of Xunantunich occupies about one square mile (2.6 km²), consisting of a series of six plazas surrounded by more than 26 temples and palaces. One of its structures, the pyramid known as “El Castillo”, the second tallest structure in Belize (after the temple at Caracol), at some 130 feet (40 m) tall.  Archeological excavations have revealed a number of fine stucco facades on some of the ancient temples of this site. Evidence of construction suggests the temple was built in three stages in the 7th, 8th, and 9th centuries. The fine stucco or “frieze” are located on the final stage.

The first modern explorations of the site were conducted by Thomas Gann in 1894 and 1895. Several projects of archeological excavations have been conducted at the site from the 1930s through the 1990s.  One of the best preserved ancient stelae is housed in a small weatherproofed building for conservation purposes. This artefact is a large stela dated within the period 200 BC to 150 AD; it depicts a Maya figure facing left. The figure is striding and clothed only in armbands.

(Information sourced from wikipedia)